CinemaTech
[ Digital cinema, democratization, and other trends remaking the movies ]

AD: Fans, Friends & Followers

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

What I'll Be Up to at SXSW

I'm always psyched to go down to Austin in March for South by Southwest. Austin makes you feel hip even if you are not. I love seeing movies at the Alamo Drafthouse and the Paramount. I really enjoy the collision of interactive people and filmmakers in the same space. I always eat too much barbecue.

This year, I'm doing two sessions there.

One is an on-stage conversation with the pioneering Web artist, prankster, and videomaker ze frank, on Saturday, March 13th. I talked to ze for my book "Fans, Friends & Followers," and I've seen him speak, but we've never really met in person, so I'm looking forward to it. One of the themes we're hoping to explore is how do you really connect with people in the digital realm, get them engaged, get them participating in meaningful ways.

The second, on Sunday, March 14th, is a session with doc-maker Gary Hustwit. I'm going to share some of the tools and strategies from "Fans, Friends & Followers," and we're going to talk about Gary's experiences building awareness for films like "Helvetica" and "Objectified," and how he has handled his DVD and digital distribution.

Hope to see you there -- and if not, SXSW is great about getting videos of all their sessions online in the months after the festival.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • I'm really looking forward to seeing the video. Unfortunately I will not be able to make it to the festival

    By Blogger Lau, at 3:21 PM  

  • Hope you have a great time down in Austin! A friend just turned me on to your blog and I thought you might be interested in our series of Best Bands to see live at SXSW! If your interested you can see it here http://bit.ly/cIrNsB

    Josh @ metrogum

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home