CinemaTech
[ Digital cinema, democratization, and other trends remaking the movies ]

AD: Fans, Friends & Followers

Friday, February 27, 2009

South by Southwest: Panels on DVD, Digital Distribution, and Audience-Building

I'm looking forward to South by Southwest next month, in Austin.

I'll be doing two panels, and also hoping to see two docs made by people whom I've gotten to know: 'RiP: A Remix Manifesto' and 'Winnebago Man.'

I'll also be doing two panels...

On Sunday, March 15th: 'Building Your Audience Online.' The theme here connects directly to my next book, 'Fans, Friends and Followers': how do you build an audience for your work, and ideally get that audience to support you? Panelists include:

    Natasha Wescoat, Artist/Blogger, Natasha Wescoat Inc
    Jonathan Coulton, Musician
    Brett Gaylor, Filmmaker, 'RiP: A Remix Manifesto'
    Burnie Burns, Rooster Teeth Productions ('Red vs. Blue')
    Markos Moulitsas, The Daily Kos

Then on Monday, March 16th: 'The Future of DVD and Digital Distribution. How long will physical DVD sales remain a viable business (and will Blu-ray help prolong their lifespan)? How are filmmakers selling digital downloads and rentals on iTunes and other outlets, and how do digital revenues stack up? Panelists include:

    Matt Dentler, Cinetic Media
    Rick Allen, CEO, Snag Films
    Gary Hustwit, Director, 'Objectified' and 'Helvetica'
    Steve Savage, President, New Video
    Morgan Spurlock, Filmmaker, Warrior-Poets


Of course, I'll try to post notes and/or audio afterward. The full SXSW Film panel schedule is here.

I will also be doing the pre-release for my new book, 'Fans, Friends and Followers,' at SXSW. I'll have a few early copies for sale, and will be doing a signing at the SXSW Bookstore on Monday, March 16th at 1 PM.

Hope to see you in Austin!

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Wondering if you've heard any scuttlebutt about the new Mike Judge film that's apparently going to be getting some play at SXSW?

    By Blogger ACTORSandCREW, at 1:55 PM  

  • i want to be there!

    http://www.nyfa.com/film_school/programs/digitalfilmmaking/

    By Blogger what the crust, at 4:51 PM  

  • I'll be there, hopefully I'll get to meet you face to face and say hello! My company is based out of Austin so if you want a local to show you around let me know!

    By Blogger Speed Racer, at 6:22 PM  

  • It's a pity i can't be there.

    But those panels really seems to get quite interesting.

    Also this one:
    http://sxsw.com/film/talks/schedule?action=show&id=FP060210

    I'm looking forward to reading from you about the SXSW!

    By Blogger FilmTiki, at 4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home