CinemaTech
[ Digital cinema, democratization, and other trends remaking the movies ]

AD: Fans, Friends & Followers

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

How Disney/Pixar is Using Blogs to Market 'Ratatouille'

Pixar's 'Ratatouille' opens on Friday, and the company has an outside marketing agency working to build buzz among bloggers. They got in touch with me via e-mail today (two days before the release) to try to generate some coverage here.

It succeeded, but only because I think this kind of outreach is important for all filmmakers/studios to understand -- and I don't think you need to hire a marketing agency to make it happen.

An earlier post here about the movie shows up on Google when you search for "Pixar Ratatouille" (on the fifth page of the results.) My e-mail is pretty easy to find, and the PR associate simply dashed off a casual e-mail with some links to promotional content about the movie. She was very up-front about what she was doing ... which is of course crucial.

Here's the e-mail, in its entirety:

    Hi!

    My name is Jen [last name deleted] and I am working with Disney●Pixar on their new film RATATOUILLE. I work with the studio to distribute content online and I came across your post on the film. Thank you for supporting the movie! I just wanted to touch base and update you on some of the new assets that are available for RATATOUILLE that I thought you and your readers may find of interest.

    I have included below, some of the new content for the film:

    · Two rough animation tests called: “Emile’s Workout” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RklCvgYEO9w) and “Emile’s Magic Trick” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v42LVMi6Suk)
    · See 9-minutes of the film here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBeTMsmU53U
    · Images for the film can be viewed and downloaded here: http://www.media-file.net/4/ratatouille/
    · Many more videos are available on the official on the official YouTube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/ratatouillemovie

    If you would prefer streaming links for any of these videos, I’d be happy to provide those to you as well. Just make sure to let me know what format you prefer.

    Also, would like to be included on distributions for future Disney films? We have many exciting projects coming up and I would love to work with you in the future. Please let me know and I will make sure to include you.

    If you have any questions, or if there is anything else that I can provide you with, please don’t hesitate to contact me. RATATOUILLE opens in theaters THIS FRIDAY, June 29th!

Your thoughts? This strikes me as very savvy...

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • This is a great idea, and there is no reason that indies couldn't do the same thing. Would you give the little guys the same link love?

    By Blogger Scott Eggleston, at 5:36 PM  

  • Yeah - of course. Whenever I see great marketing (or other strategies) I'll tell you about it.

    By Blogger Scott Kirsner, at 8:12 PM  

  • It is a superb idea; we’ve been tinkering with a few similar ideas for our film “Time Piglets”. Even blogs that don’t have a large readership stand to benefit, and vice versa. It doesn’t hurt that Ratatouille was rock solid, hitting all its emotional and comedic marks. Brad Bird is one of the best in the business at portraying the human nuances in animation—this might be his best to date. Keep the handy information coming, Scott! - Byron

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home