CinemaTech
[ Digital cinema, democratization, and other trends remaking the movies ]

AD: Fans, Friends & Followers

Friday, July 21, 2006

Director M. Night Shyamalan on New Technologies, Filmmaking, and the Theatrical Window


When I was at ShoWest in Las Vegas this past March, the good people of Warner Bros. PR arranged a few minutes for me to chat with M. Night Shyamalan, who was showing a few scenes from "The Lady in the Water" to theater owners. I was hoping to use his comments more extensively in a magazine piece, but some of them did creep into this Hollywood Reporter story on digital cinematography.


But in the spirit of the blogosphere, I wanted to post the entire transcript of our conversation at the Paris Hotel here. In a very short span of time, we talked about digital cinematography, editing, the theatrical window, Steven Soderbergh, and Mark Cuban.


Scott Kirsner: Have you had other directors who've come to you, after you started speaking out about the theatrical window last year, and said, `Hey, we're on your side'?


M. Night Shyamalan: I haven't found anyone, other than the one --


SK: [Director Steven] Soderbergh --


MNS: -- vehemently on the other side, who has said, `I love that my film is going to be on DVD [while it's in theaters].' No one would say that.


Either [directors] feel, there's nothing I can do, or yeah, I'm with you 100 percent.


It's not a dangerous stance that I'm taking. That's what we do for a living.


SK: Do you think there will be more experiments, like `Bubble'? Those guys [Mark Cuban and Todd Wagner of 2929 Entertainment] have said they're going to do a couple movies, and they want to get other directors working with them.


MNS: My art form isn't there to be experimented with. They chose to make an experiment and the results of their experiment are in. [Box Office Mojo says the Steven Soderbergh drama `Bubble,' with a $1.6 million budget, made $145,626 in theatrical release.] If the results were the other way around, it would be a different story.


SK: What are your feelings about digital projection and shooting digitally?


MNS: Shooting digitally would bother me. I'm editing on film -- and I can't even find the materials to edit on film anymore.


SK: You still edit on film?


MNS: I do both, edit on the computer and film, and it's impossible to find [film editing equipment]. I have to get the equipment from a warehouse in Los Angeles which is all dusty. They're like, `Hey, you want to buy it?' I'm thinking about buying it, because no one wants it.


It's changing to digital. I'm concerned about humanity. If it was up to me, I would keep the stock from the 1970s that they shot `Dog Day Afternoon' with. That was more real to me. I would love to have the option to shoot with that. But I don't. I have very slick movie film now. You can shoot in any light, it looks very clean, everyone has this glossy quality.


SK: You're not eager to start shooting digitally, like [Bryan Singer did on] `Superman Returns'?


MNS: It's not my thing... I'm a little, you know, farm boy.

1 Comments:

  • There are always going to be directors like M. Night who will the change to digital. Be it shooting or editing, some will always resist. In any thing where technology has the power to cause change, (and where does that not happen) traditionalists will resist. And that's probably a good thing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home